Savannah/Hilton Head International Holiday Travel TipsDecember 21st, 2016
SAVANNAH, GA – With the start of the busy holiday season, Savannah/Hilton Head International offers the following tips to help passengers prepare for a safe and enjoyable travel experience.
Before You Leave Home
- Check your airline’s website or app for the most up-to-date flight information.
- Confirm your flight ahead of time, especially if traveling to an area of the Country that will be impacted by the weather.
- Print or download your boarding pass to speed up the check-in process.
- Place identification tags on the outside and inside of your checked baggage.
- Carefully check your bags to ensure that prohibited items are not present. A complete list of prohibited items can be found online at TSA.gov or the TSA mobile app.
- Do not pack medication or valuables in checked baggage – i.e prescription meds, laptops, iPhones, iPads, jewelry and other electronics.
- Allow enough time to get to the Airport – at least 2 hours before your flight time. If you’re parking your car at the airport, allow an additional 15 to 20 minutes.
- Airport staff will be on duty beginning December 23 to direct traffic in parking areas and signs will be placed in areas that reach capacity. Long/Term Hourly rates are $12.00 per day, Economy rates are $8.00 per day and Value Park is $5 per day. In addition, Valet parking is available for $20.00 per day.
Holiday Travel Tips Continued….
- Complimentary luggage carts are available to customers throughout the parking garage and terminal and we suggest dropping off additional passengers and bags at the curb before proceeding to parking.
Meeters and Greeters
- When meeting arriving passengers, meeters and greeters are encouraged to use the Airport Cell Phone Lot. The Lot is free, but drivers must stay with their vehicles at all times. When your party arrives and has picked up their baggage from baggage claim, they can call to be picked up at the curbside.
Proceeding Through the Checkpoint for Departure
- With passenger traffic up 8% for the year, the Airport is expected to be extremely busy during holiday travel periods. Upon arrival and check-in, please proceed as quickly as possible through the security checkpoint. During early morning, midday and late afternoon departure periods, lines at the checkpoint can become long. Most flights board 30 to 45 minutes before the listed departure time, so clearing security upon arrival is recommended.
- Remember the 3-1-1 rule and bag liquids and gels. See the TSA.gov website for permitted items and carry-on recommendations.
- Have your boarding pass and government issued photo ID ready to present to TSA.
- If you’re traveling with gifts leave them unwrapped. Wrapped gifts are not prohibited through the security checkpoint, but may be subject to further screening.
Be sure to visit the convenient shopping and dining locations both before and through the security checkpoint at Savannah/Hilton Head International.
# # #