If you are in need of special assistance during your trip, please contact your airline in advance to request assistance with access to the terminal, wheelchairs, medications, oxygen or specific seat assignments, and be sure to confirm the request prior to departure.
Savannah/Hilton Head International is ADA compliant and we are here to make your travel experience as seamless as possible. If you need any additional assistance while at the airport, please let us know how we can help you. Our Visitor Information Center is located on Level 1 and can also be reached via phone at (912) 966-3743.
Additional traveler information for persons with disabilities is provided below.
Service Animals Under the Air Carrier Act
Animal Relief Areas – Outdoors
SAV has two outdoor animal relief areas conveniently located at the north and south ends of baggage claim. The outdoor relief areas have a box containing bags for easy disposal of waste. Click here to view the location of these animal relief areas on our Terminal Map.
- To request wheelchair service, it is recommended passengers contact their airline 72 hours in advance. Most individuals requesting wheelchair assistance are transported via wheelchair from ticketing to their aircraft. Airlines are required to provide curbside wheelchair service when requested. On return flight, passengers should remind a flight attendant near the end of their flight, that they will need a wheelchair upon arrival.
- Each airline is responsible for providing wheelchairs for their customers with disabilities, from curbside drop-off to the aircraft. Contact the airline’s reservation desk a minimum of 72 hours prior to the flight to reserve wheelchair service.
- From Parking Structure
- Airlines are not responsible for providing wheelchair service from parking structures to terminals.
- Departing Passengers
- Disabled passengers can be dropped off on the Departures level, also known as the upper level. Use the red phones located curbside to contact customer care for wheelchair assistance.
- Wheelchair Accessible Ground Transportation
- All Chatham Area Transit (CAT) buses are wheelchair accessible and service animals are permitted. https://www.catchacat.org
- Handicap accessible parking spaces are available in the Long Term/Hourly and Economy parking lots.
- Disability Placards
- All vehicles displaying disability placards or license plates may park in parking structures and economy lot and pay the posted fee.
Security Screening Procedures
- Learn more about security screening procedures for people with special needs by visiting TSA’s website.
- Travelers with disabilities and medical conditions may call TSA Cares toll free at 1-855-787-2227 prior to traveling with questions about screening policies, procedures and what to expect at the security checkpoint