SAVANNAH, GA – Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport is expecting a busy holiday season, anticipating up to 80,000 total passengers traveling during the week of Thanksgiving. That number is a 10% increase over last year. The heaviest travel days are expected to be Wednesday, November 22nd and Sunday, November 26th.
The Airport offers the following tips to help passengers prepare for a safe and enjoyable travel experience:
Before You Leave Home
- Check your airline’s website or app for the most up-to-date flight information.
- Print or download your boarding pass to speed up the check-in process.
- Place identification tags on the outside and inside of your checked baggage.
- Ensure that both checked and carryon bags don’t contain any prohibited items. A complete list of prohibited items can be found online at TSA.gov or the TSA mobile app.
- Do not pack medication or valuables in checked baggage – i.e prescription meds, laptops, iPhones, iPads, jewelry and other electronics.
- Allow enough time to get to the Airport – at least 2 hours before your flight time.
- The Airport will have ample parking available for travelers and will open a remote overflow lot located on Ida J Gadsden Drive if needed, and will provide shuttle service to/from the Terminal. Signs will direct customers to additional parking as lots reach capacity.
- We suggest dropping off additional passengers and bags at the curb before proceeding to parking.
Meeters and Greeters
- Strict federal security directives prohibit parked or unattended vehicles on the roadways in front of airport terminals, even for a short time.
- You may pull to the curb in front of a terminal only long enough to drop off or pick up a waiting traveler.
- When meeting arriving passengers, meeters and greeters are encouraged to use the Airport Cell Phone Lot. The Lot is free, but drivers must stay with their vehicles at all times.
Proceeding Through the Checkpoint for Departure
- With passenger traffic up 10% for the year, the Airport is expected to be extremely busy during holiday travel periods. Upon arrival and check-in, please proceed as quickly as possible through the security checkpoint. During early morning, midday, and late afternoon departure periods, lines at the checkpoint can become long. Most flights board 30 to 45 minutes before the listed departure time, so clearing security upon arrival is recommended.
- Remember the 3-1-1 rule and bag liquids and gels. See the TSA.gov website for permitted items and carry-on recommendations.
- Have your boarding pass and government issued photo ID ready to present to TSA.
- If you’re traveling with gifts leave them unwrapped. Wrapped gifts are not prohibited through the security checkpoint, but may be subject to further screening.
Savannah/Hilton Head International has convenient shopping and dining locations both before and through the security checkpoint. For a list of restaurants and shops, please visit our website at www.savannahairport.com.